Banana Tigernut Pancakes
This summer I am working for The Chufa Co., a tigernut milk company based in Toronto. Currently, The Chufa Co. sells a range of different flavoured milks in many grocery stores and cafes across downtown Toronto. My favourite flavours at the moment are Valencian Horchata (tastes similar to chai tea!) and Maple. At the moment, The Chufa Co. is working with professionals to perfect a tigernut ice cream recipe and develop a longer shelf life for tigernut milks to be sold in grocery stores across Canada. All very exciting!
Let me back up a little. Many of you may be wondering what a tigernut even is. After working with The Chufa Co. for the past several weeks, I now know that tigernuts are not nuts, but are actually root vegetables. These super tubers have a very unique health profile: they are extremely high in a specific type of fibre known as resistance starch. Resistance starch is a beneficial prebiotic aiding the good bacteria in your digestive tract. Moreover, tigernuts are loaded with magnesium as well as potassium; definitely a superfood on my list. At The Chufa Co. I assist in producing the milks, creating, styling, and photographing tigernut recipes, and writing blog posts for the website. Definitely a job that could not be more fitting for me!
When the owners of the company and I decided to experiment with tigernut milk and tigernut flour in pancakes, I could not be more excited. Why have normal pancakes when you can have superfood tigernut pancakes!? At this very moment, the Banana Tigernut Pancakes were born.
These Banana Tigernut Pancakes are the ideal weekend breakfast: fluffy, light, and oh-so delicious. Using only wholesome, plant-based ingredients, this is a recipe that I believe everyone and anyone can enjoy. What I also love about this pancake recipe is that it is totally customizable. Feel free adding in chocolate chips, fresh seasonal berries, or even a tablespoon of matcha powder! Now for the recipe...
Dry Ingredients (serves 5-6)
1 cup oat flour (blend oats)
3/4 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour (sub regular all-purpose flour)
1/4 cup tigernut flour (sub gluten-free all-purpose flour)
1/4 cup oats
1/4 cup chopped walnuts (sub another nut)
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla bean powder (sub vanilla extract)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 cup tigernut milk (sub any type of milk)
1 cup water (add more or less to reach thick but pourable batter-like consistency)
1 ripe banana (mashed)
1 1/2 tbsp maple syrup (sub another sweetener of your choice)
1 tbsp coconut oil (melted)
1. In one bowl combine all dry ingredients: oat flour, gluten-free all-purpose flour, tigernut flower, rolled oats, chopped walnuts, baking powder, vanilla bean powder, cinnamon, and sea salt. Mix to combine.
2. In another bowl, combine all wet ingredients: tigernut milk, water, mashed banana, maple syrup, and melted coconut oil. Mix to combine.
3. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Mix until the batter is well-combined.
4. Heat a nonstick pan over medium heat and rub on a thin layer of coconut oil.
5. Once warm, add 1/4-1/3 cup of the batter onto the pan. Cook on one side until the pancake begins to bubble along the edges (2 minutes).
6. Flip the pancake with a spatula and cook for approximately 2 more minutes, or until the underside turns golden brown. Continue until all the batter is used up.
7. Eat the pancakes on their own or adding toppings and eat!